Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bloodlust: An Interview and an Excerpt




1. Vampires and nuns. What inspired this particular story?

I’ve always had an interest in cloistered societies, and I studied the Cistercian Order as part of my history degree (it was more interesting than it sounds). Plus I loved the idea of a sex-mad vampire who was hooked on virgins. I thought it would be a fun character to write. I was right. :-)

2. What are some of your favorite vampires in fiction?

I’m reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book at the moment, and really enjoying it. I have to say, though, that I don’t actually read a huge amount of paranormal fiction. Most of the vampires I love are from TV – Angel, Spike, Blade, Eric Northman…

3. Writing sexy stories can be a challenge. What was the hardest scene you have ever had to write and why?

Ooh, good question! Um, well, I have a release coming out soon (Seven Sexy Sins) that has my first anal sex scene in it. That was a challenge. But the storyline called for an intense, dark scene, and it’s written in a very romantic, dark, intense way. It was a lot of fun. But I’m blushing even thinking about it.

4. Dark Shadows or Lost Boys?

Oh, Dark Shadows. Johnny Depp, every time :-)

5. Twilight or Dracula?

Dracula. For the hairline. Although I enjoyed Twilight.

6. What other writing projects are you working on?

I’m just finishing a follow up to Seven Sexy Sins, and I’m also editing another erotic contemporary that will soon be winging its way out there. I have five books coming out in the next eight months, so it’s been pretty busy.

7. Did you have music that inspired your work?

I play a lot of John Mayer and Jack Johnson. And Foo Fighters. I’m pretty eclectic.

8. Jasper is a character that will scorch the pages. Whew! Biting one particular nun had cursed him forever to have a conscience and that can be awkward for a vampire with a fetish for holy women. Do you see more stories with Jasper haunting the pages or is this a stand alone book?

I think Jasper himself will probably be a one-book vamp. But I’m very open to writing about other vampires in the future. He was a lot of fun to write.

9. What are some of your hobbies when you are not crafting erotica bliss for happy readers like myself?

Hobbies? What are they? LOL! Actually I do have a few. I watch a lot of movies and TV – especially shows like Buffy and Angel, True Blood, West Wing, House etc. I think they all help with the timing of humor in my writing. I also play fantasy computer games like World of Warcraft and Skyrim. (Yes, I’m a nerd.)

10. What is one thing you would tell someone interesting in writing erotic fiction?

It’s sometimes very difficult to write with the thought of your maiden aunt (or mother or grandmother) looking over your shoulder, and I know I’m not the only one with this problem. If you feel the same, have a couple of glasses of wine and let yourself go. When it comes down to it, I’m writing about love and monogamous sex, and I don’t see a problem with that. Better that than horrors where people are chopping other people’s heads off and committing unspeakable crimes. Not that I don’t like horror, I heart Stephen King. But I’d rather be writing about things that made people feel good.

Thank you for having me on your blog!

Faye x

And here’s a brief excerpt:

He sipped his drink and said nothing. But his gaze was strangely wary and uncertain. “So, little Miss Perfect, how do you cope with the bloodlust if you don’t drink?”
“Pig’s blood, iron tablets, and Vitamin D,” she said, her head swimming.
He laughed. “What?” He shook his head. This time, there was definitely amusement in his eyes. “Is that the only technique you use?”
“What do you mean?”
He raised an eyebrow. “There is a much more enjoyable way to get rid of a surge. You don’t indulge?”
She blinked. “I don’t know what you’re referring to.”
He stepped a little closer. His dark, smoky gaze ran brazenly down her body, studying her breasts and hips, then came back up to rest on her lips, insolent enough to make her cheeks grow hot. “I mean sex, Amabel.”
“O-oh.”
He tipped his head, his lips curving, his eyes half-lidded with desire. “I mean getting hot and sweaty, and encouraging the bloodlust to rise in one another until you just can’t bear it anymore. And then letting it break from you in a wave. Letting the passion sweep it away.” His voice was low, sultry. Her head spun.
She swallowed. “I don’t...that is, I’ve never had...” Her voice trailed off as his eyes widened. Oh God. Why had she said that? It was the worst possible thing to say to a guy with a virgin fetish.
She could have staked herself.
His eyes were hot enough to melt gold. He placed his drink down and moved even closer. When he spoke, his voice was husky with desire. “Oh my.”
She looked up at him, alarmed. “Jasper Howard, don’t even think about it.”
“Sweetheart, what you’ve let slip is the equivalent of telling a woman who’s not had chocolate for ages that everything in Thornton’s is free for a day.”
Her heart pounded, leaving her breathless and confused. “Don’t come any closer. I’ll scream.”
He chuckled. “You promise?”
“Jasper! Honestly. This is the twenty-first century, not the nineteenth.”
“Yes. A hundred and sixty-seven years have passed since I last saw you. And you’re still untouched. What a miracle you are.” He brushed her cheek with his fingers, then slipped his hand into her hair.
“Oh. No... Please.” She backed up against the wall.
“No? Or please?” Moving forward, he placed his other hand on the wall. His head dipped until his lips hovered a millimeter above hers.
“Jasper...” She swallowed, breathing heavily, and closed her eyes. She couldn’t let him see into her soul and find out the terrible truth—that if ever she’d ever thought about relinquishing her virgin status over the past hundred and sixty-seven years, the only man she’d pictured was the one standing before her.




Faye Robertson lives in the sub-tropical Northland of New Zealand with her wonderful husband and gorgeous teenage son, and this beautiful country is the setting for many of her stories. Often called the “winterless north”, the Northland is famous for its kiwifruit, lemons and mandarins, palm trees, and truly exceptional coffee, without which Faye would inevitably fall asleep over her keyboard most days. She’s also a big fan of the All Blacks—the New Zealand national rugby team. If you haven’t seen them perform the haka, do yourself a favour and check it out on YouTube!

Faye writes fun, flirty, and sexy romances for the modern woman who likes intelligent, spirited heroines, and hunky but approachable heroes. Her stories are frequently laugh-out-loud funny, sizzling hot and often heartbreakingly sad before the guaranteed happy-ever-after.

She’s won several romance writing competitions and is a member of the Romance Writers of New Zealand. She would much rather immerse herself in reading or writing romance than do the dusting and ironing, which is why it’s not a great idea to pop around if you have any allergies. She’s on Facebook and Twitter, and you can check her out at www.fayerobertsonromance.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!