Monday, March 16, 2015

Breathless Monday: The Substitute by Spencer Dryden

1. How did you start writing erotic romance?
After my mom passed away in 2012 I got to spend a long time alone at her beach house while we closed her estate. On my daily beach walks, I started getting all kinds of story ideas. Realizing at 62 that I wasn't getting any younger, I decided to try my hand at erotic story telling.
2. Plotter or pantster?
Panster, which might explain why my works are short, but I also have a very short attention span.
3. What are three things you have on your writing desk?
My laptop, the ubiquitous cup of coffee and a printed draft of my WIP
4. Favorite food?
I want to say Brussle sprouts or something healthy like that but it's Girl Scout cookie season. Me and the Cookie Monster are twins separated at birth.
5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you?
"The Substitute" is another of my tradesmen stories. In this story, a union journeyman plumber risks his career and assumes a false identity to substitute for a friend who owns a non-union plumbing business. The fun starts at the first job when he is shocked to find the client is expecting sex and not plumbing services.
"Gary", my unsuspecting plumber, torn by lust, his obligation to his friend and his conscience was the first character to speak out. The others developed around him.
6. I write because ____...
It's an inexpensive, fun and engaging pastime to carry into retirement. I'm not going to be one of those retirees who can play a $200 round of golf topped off by dinner at a five star restaurant.
7. What is your favorite type of character to write about?
"Gary" my MC is a sincere, but slightly clueless guy who falls into the orbit of a sexually assertive woman. An ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances is much more fun for me to write about than alpha males or billionaire bad boys.
8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote?
I think it's here in "The Substitute" between "Gary" and the second woman he meets on the job. I hope readers will let me know. By this point in the story there is much more between them than sex for hire. I really tried to focus on the sensual elements, the longing and surrender.
9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field?
The best advice I got: write the story you want to hear, the way you want to hear it. I invariably do my best work when I stick close to that advice. When I wander away trying to write to an audience, it's like pulling the plug on creativity.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon?

I have been working along time on a series of stories surrounding an amazing weapon, "The Gueschtunkina Ray Gun". One shot from this weapon renders a woman into a state of extreme sexual arousal. The three part story has time and interstellar travel, a seven foot tall, three breasted female warrior and an evil dude who travels in his own mobile universe. It's lots of fun, but a big challenge for a panster to get multiple plot arcs to come together.

Blurb:

A substitute plumber's world turns upside down when he discovers his buddy's business is providing more than plumbing services to an exclusive female clientele.

A journeyman plumber breaks union rules, risking the loss of his career, and assumes a false identity to substitute for an injured friend who owns a non-union plumbing shop. When "Gary" arrives on the job, he is stunned to discover that the client is expecting sex and not plumbing services. It's the beginning of a day of surprises.
Motivated by his obligation to a friend and seduced by the allure of the client, "Gary" has some of the best sex of his life. He is at peace until he overhears the client making an immediate referral to a friend. Torn between conscience and friendship, he accepts the referral.
His day turns again as Britta initially spurns his services, much to "Gary's" relief, then asks him to do some plumbing work. While he is working, Britta slowly drops her hostile manner, sharing more of her personal story. "Gary" finds himself longing for a deeper connection, but has to dispel Britta's feelings of inadequacy and deal with his hidden identity.

Buy Link
 
Excerpt:
One minute I was getting ready to install a new faucet for this really hot divorcee. The next thing I knew, she was naked, splayed out on the massive onyx granite kitchen island of her fabulous McMansion. Her legs over my shoulders, my work pants on the floor, I'm banging her furiously. She was screaming and panting, heavy breasts flopping like luscious melons, her pussy pouring out love juice over my cock while she clutched the backs of her thighs. Her head thrashed in the pile of her frosted, layered mane of silver and black hair. She was so strong I thought she was going to lift my two-hundred-pound frame from the floor as her back arched in the agony of a hard orgasm.
WTF?
I was breaking all the rules that day, but the last one I ever expected to break was fucking a client on the clock. But technically, she wasn't my client.
My strange odyssey began when my plumbing trade school buddy, Steve, called me in desperation from the ER where he was being treated for a severely turned ankle.
"Dude, you gotta take this job for me today." His voice was full of mirth, making me suspect he was loaded with painkillers.
"Steve, you know I can't do that. I'm a union journeyman, and you're a non-union shop."
I couldn't work for one of my best friends, not within the rules the union had set for us. Rules that protected us from exploitation, but limited our choices.
"It's just one job, goddamnit. I don't have anyone else I can trust."
"Yeah, but that one job could cost me my career."

Bio:

Spencer Dryden is a new to writing fiction, but an old guy on the threshold of draining any reserves left in Medicare and Social Security. In real life he is a handyman, an at-home dad, inventor, and web videographer, living a quiet life in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, USA.
He earned an MBA from a prestigious Midwestern university but is so far behind on the career earnings scale of his peers that the university has offered to refund his tuition if he will return his diploma and disavow his affiliation, lest he continue to denigrate the school's impeccable brand.
He has a beautiful trophy wife ready to spend his royalties. Like all good romance writers, he has a cat but prefers to pet his wife.
This is his fourth work published by Breathless Press.
He can be reached at multiple locations:
Check out his website: http://www.fictionbyspencer.com/
He's on Google+ : https://plus.google.com/+SpencerDryden
Tweet Him at: @SpencerDryden
He is a regular contributor to the multiauthor blog, Oh Get A Grip: http://ohgetagrip.blogspot.com
And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008150288001
If you liked this book, please leave a review at Breathless Press or at Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/goodreadscomspencer_dryden

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!